Tuesday, September 22, 2009

"SNAKE...Oooooo!"

I'm hesitant to post this as some of you will be really creeped out but I had to share this crazy story...


Monday's are laundry days. I have come to realize if I do not do it all back to back it will be forgotten in the washer and start to smell after a few days and potentially ruin clothes. So I call Monday...mounds monday. I was down to two more small loads and asked Angus to help me put Scott's socks away in his closet in the office/den/guest room/craft closet. As I was backing out of the closet and Angus had already done so I look down at him looking at a snake on the floor. My first reaction was it was a toy snake but then it started to move and I knew that Angus didn't have such a thing...
He tried to touch it and I was hollering..OOOOOH! OOOH! SNAKE! OOOHHH! It crept along the floor under the pack n play where Berea sleeps and along the bookshelves to the last shelf that holds the old VHS tapes. I chased it over there with a wire hanger while kneeling on the futon and of course Angus was right on my shirt tails. So I decided I didn't want to deal with it immediately and closed the door, stuffed Scott's dirty shirts under the door and called the wildlife removal guys. But they wanted $189 just to come out and $39 per trap. AND I couldn't live with the images going through my mind of snakes pouring out of every orface of my house and all the other horrible snake scenes I'd ever seen from a movie at one point or another. I decided I HAD to do something about it. I put Signing Time on for Angus to watch knowing he'd be glued to it and could use some sharpening of his signs and made sure Berea was secure playing with multiple toys on the living room floor.
I armed myself with two metal hangers and a small flashlight in hopes I'd wrangle it just like a pro snake charmer. My heart was beating a mile a minute and I kept thinking it was so silly to be so hyped up about this but I wasn't sure what kind of snake it was and wanted to keep my babes safe in the house.
Angus approached the office door closed, knocked on it and said, "SNAKE, R U?"

I approached the VHS tapes with the flashlight and the snake didn't like the light so it slithered back into the corner. finally I coaxed it out but it started back in the direction it had originally come from. I ran out of the room thinking I needed something to put the snake in because it was not staying on the hangers like I'd hoped. So I remembered how snake charmers use bags to keep their snakes in. I grabbed a paper sack from the grocery store and manuevered the snake to enter the bag, quickly closed it and doubled it over as I felt the snake wriggling about.
Holding it out from my body I grabbed my phone to take a picture of it so I could later figure out what kind of snake it is etc. I haven't been successful in identifying it's species but I'll leave that for next week when I'm still not tip toeing around in the office area.

From now on Angus hears snake and says..."snake...oooooo!"

I hope there was just one and I will never be able to fondly recite Toy Story's Woody when he says, "there's a snake in my boot!"

1 comment:

stella g. said...

oh.my.goodness. you are so brave! i can't believe you tackled that thing by yourself! it reminds me of the Cosby Show episode. crazy, Jen, just crazy!