Saturday, October 11, 2008

Little did I know...

Angus and I had a great day afterall. I wasn't so sure after the morning included getting stopped by the security at the Gate on post...wondering if I'd get slapped with a fine for not having my up to date insurance card which expired just a few days ago in my car. Grace was given to me and a simple phone call to USAA had us on our way after encountering a 20 minute wait with Angus strapped in his car seat and me and my friend having to wait outside the car to make sure we weren't involved in suspicious activity...blah blah blah. You get the picture. Little things are making me a bit more edgy as I await the arrival of Scott home from his 3rd deployment.

I wasn't planning on blogging tonight just a cozy night with me an tv shows on the computer and maybe folding the mound of laundry on my couch. But I just had to show gratitude to the God I serve that amazes me every day in how much he can use me and how he loves me through his people.

It's been a bit of a lonely deployment transitioning from a full time employee and graduate student to a full time stay at home mom in a new home. But lately God has been surprising me with some newer friends who I've known through some or most of the deployment. I have enjoyed over the last week making meals with three different women and letting Angus interact and play with their children. Thanks Robin for a wonderfully creative meal and great adult conversation over portabello mushrooms with pesto and mozzarella, artichoke and parmasean risotto, and blueberry basil vinegrette dressing on Sunday night. Thanks to Anna for yummy stir fry and good conversation and the balloons that Angus can't get enough of and the playing with your kiddos on Wednesday. And today thanks to Rebecca for wonderful conversation, bumping butts in the kitchen and giggling as we watch our sons have so much fun playing with one another and eating an ever so satisfying meal of hamburgers, corn on the cob, spinach artichoke dip, and salad. Glory to God for the great things he's provided most recently. :)
Me and Amy in a silly picture that I attempted to take in my car when we went out to eat at Olga's for dinner just a few months ago.


So suddenly I've become quite verbose in this blog as all the things I've written about weren't my original purpose. You see I was suddenly taken aback by an email I read this evening from an old coworker of mine. After college I moved home and worked with developmentally disabled women and desperately wanted to move back to Michigan where it felt more like home. (Though wherever my parents live it always feels like home. Just didn't care for the way Ohio felt at the time...good ol' feelings of I've graduated from college I can take over the world!)
I landed a job as a live in home manager of a Christian group home that was just starting in Lansing Michigan. The ministry was called Chosen Vision. It was quite a learning experience and little did I know how much God was preparing me to be a mom early on. Eventually through the first year of the home being open I accomplished a lot with a lot of help and support of so many people. We grew to housing six women with developmental disabilities including one in a wheelchair. They all grew to love me and I them. Though it was very difficult at times not being able to leave my work at work so to speak. I have fond memories of playing pranks on the women some of whom were twice my age and bonding with coworkers who were also twice my age. (Amy you better check in that bed to make sure there are no snakes!)
I could never say that I was indeed a mother to these women but a lot of caring for them especially in the middle of the night with sickness, poopy pants and bad dreams not to mention crazy storms and chirping alarm and fire alarm systems...so many stories! Did I mention the adventures of six flags too? OK so I should stop here because this is what I was so excited about... the first resident of our home, Amy, just got accepted into Lansing Community College! Wow! Rahoo! Amazing! Way to Go! I'm so thrilled for her and how amazing it is to have one more huge accomplishment for someone who has been told by society she may not live past a certain age. She has taught me and many others some incredible things. I can't wait to see what college will teach her and what she'll continue to teach me on this next journey through college. I'm so proud!

If you want to know more about Chosen Vision ministries and how it's grown and changed go here. Thanks for reading!

No comments: